(Links are to working papers or older versions of published papers)
Performance Evaluations and Careers: Similarities and Differences across Firms., joint joint with Anders Frederiksen and Ben Kriechel, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organizations, Volume 134, February 2018, pages 408-429.
Testing for Changes in the SES-Mortality Gradient When the Distribution of Education Changes Too., joint with Thomas Goldring and Seth Richards-Shubik, Journal of Health Economics (2016), pp. 120-130.
Long-term Unemployment and the Great Recession: the role of composition, duration dependence, and non-participation., Joint with Kory Kroft, Matthew J. Notowidigdo, and Lawrence F. Katz NBER working paper No. w20273. Published: Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 34, Number S1 Part 2, January (2016), S7-S54.
Learning about Employee and Employer Learning: Dynamics of Performance and Wage Measures, joint with Lisa Kahn, The Review of Economic Studies 81, no. 4 (2014): 1575-1613.
- Fertility Transitions Along the Extensive and Intensive Margin, joint with Dan Aaronson and Bhash Mazumder, American Economic Review, Vol. 104, No. 11 (2014), pp 3701-24.
IPUMS USA 2014 Research Award Winner: Best Paper using US data
- Duration Dependence And Labor Market Conditions: Evidence from a Field Experiment, joint with Kory Kroft and Matt Notowidigdo, Quarterly Journal of Economics,128(3) (2013) pp. 1123-1167.
- The Unemployment Rate – One Rate to Capture the State of the Labor Market, joint with Andreas Hornstein and Marianna Kudlyak, Economic Quarterly, Volume 100, Number 1 (2014), pp 1-21.
- Equipping Immigrants: Migration Flows and Capital Movements, joint with Doug Gollin, Review of World Economics, 2013.
- Changes in the Characteristics of American Youth: Implications for Adult Outcomes, joint with Joseph G. Altonji and Prashant Bharadwaj, Journal of Labor Economics, 2011.
See also: The Anemic Response of Skill Investment to Skill Premium Growth at VoxEU http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/1110.
- Explaining the Rise in Educational Gradients in Mortality, joint with David Cutler, Ellen Meara, Seth Richards and Christopher Ruhm, Journal of Health Economics, 30 (2011) pp 43-54.
Education and Allocative Efficiency. Evidence from Cancer Screening, Journal of Health Economics 30 (2011), pp. 43-54.
- “The Speed of Employer Learning”, Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 25, Number 1, January 2007
(H.G.Lewis Prize: Best Paper in the Journal of Labor Economics 2006-2007.
IZA Young Labor Economist Award 2008: Best Paper by a Labor Economist under the age of 40. )
- Chronic Disease Burden and the Interaction of Education, Fertility and Growth, joint with Hoyt Bleakley, Review of Economics and Statistics, February 2009, 91(1).
- The Impact of the Boll-Weevil 1892-1940, joint with Alan Olmstead and Paul Rhode, The Journal of Economic History, vol 69, issue 03 (Sept. 2009), pp. 685-718.
- “Working? The West German Labor Market 1964-2001. Latin American Journal of Economics, 40 (December 2003), 121, pp. 495-503.